Another nice article by Dr. Mercola:
Exercise is a Vital Component of Brain Health
Eat Your Veggies to Protect Against Mental Decline
Omega-3s are Vital for Healthy Brain Function
Foods to AVOID to Keep Your Mind Sharp
Foods to avoid in order to protect the health of your brain. Four foods in particular can be pinpointed as the enemies of optimal brain health:
- Sugars, especially fructose
Other Brain-Healthy Lifestyle Strategies
- Optimize your vitamin D levels Through safe sun exposure, a safe tanning bed and/or vitamin D supplements. Vitamin D plays a very important role in brain development and function, so get tested regularly to make sure you maintain healthy levels year-round.
- Challenge your mind daily. Mental stimulation, such as traveling, learning to play an instrument or doing crossword puzzles, is associated with a decreased risk of Alzheimer's. Researchers suspect that mental challenge helps to build up your brain, making it less susceptible to the lesions associated with Alzheimer's disease.
- Avoid mercury. Dental amalgam fillings are one of the major sources of mercury, however you should be healthy prior to having them removed.
Once you have adjusted to following the diet described in my nutrition plan, you can follow the mercury detox protocol and then find a qualified biological dentist to have your amalgams removed. (Be sure to only use a high-quality biologically trained dentist who is familiar with the removal of amalgam fillings or your health could get ruined.)
- Avoid aluminum, commonly found in items such as antiperspirants and aluminum cookware.
Avoid flu vaccinations as well, as they contain both mercury and aluminum!
- Avoid fluoride. Fluoride is another powerful neurotoxin. The most common sources would be in your water and toothpaste. But it is also a part of some antibiotics (like Cipro), soy protein, and pesticides, so seek to have as much of your food organically grown as possible, and filter your tap water with a reverse osmosis filter to eliminate the fluoride.