Welcome to my blog, where I write about random topics. Use the "Posts by Tag" section on the left to view my posts sorted by the various interests.

Quote For The Day:

Friday, March 23, 2012

Organic Bananas are Fresher

Do you know why organic bananas taste so much better?  It's not necessarily because they were grown any differently.  It's because they're FRESHER!  They are simply not treated after the fact with stuff to preserve them and make them keep in storage for a long icky time like "regular" ones (They are irradiated to kill pests).  So, organics have to be shipped and sold FASTER!

I KNEW they tasted better for some reason......!  Something I learned from an Herbalist last week.  ;-)

PS, this also ensures you're actually getting the nutrients from fresh fruits that you seek.  If they're old, they're not really doing you much good.

They say that.....
Bananas, along with avocados, mangos, papayas, and pineapples have been found to have the lowest pesticide residue. However, apples, cherries, grapes, nectarines, peaches, pears, raspberries, strawberries have very high pesticide residues so you might want to splurge on organic. 

However I must not be so luck to live in a place where the non-organic bananas come in fresh.  I HAVE to buy organic ones if I want them to taste like anything worth eating. I am considering apples too, if I can find the tasty varieties in an organic pretty easily.  I won't eat the skin due to all the gunky crap that's all over it.  If you slice it up and put it in a bowl for a few hours, it looks like sticky white glue all over the apple surface.  Who wants to injest that!!!

1 comments:

SJ says:
at: July 6, 2017 at 9:58 PM said...

They also taste better as they go brown. I didn't previously like bananas after they started to have brown spots, with the non-organic they would taste too 'gassy' and the texture was off. However, I discovered that organic bananas actually taste very pleasant even when they're pretty brown and that means my bananas last me a lot longer. Actually, I used to bake them into muffins, but now that I eat organic ones I rarely have any left to bake. Seems like a fair trade-off to me!